OpenWrt LEDE with vmxnet3 adapters on x64 VMware instance

admin
Site Admin

OpenWrt LEDE with vmxnet3 adapters on x64 VMware instance

Post by admin »

Most easy way to make a Virtual machine (Workstation / ESXi / whatever)
From: https://ronaldterveenblog.wordpress.com ... an-vmware/

Needed: Make sure you have a bootable Linux environment to gunzip a img.gz file, like 4MLinux
Create a VM with IDE HDD minimum 500MB (SCSI did not work 4 me), 2 GB memory, to boot 4MLinux and 2 x vmxnet3 adapters! (add 1 additional E1000 for 4MLInux? -> yes)
Boot to BIOS (edit settings?) and mount the 4MLinux iso to boot from.
( EFI did not boot from mounted CD, its 32bits ... )

Open Terminal (after choose your country) and change root password (passwd)
Check that /dev/sda is available (the 'at least' 500MB disk drive in VM)

Use WinSCP or ftp to upload latest LEDE combined ext4 img.gz file to /tmp (you need a working network here ...)
(oei, not sure if 4MLInux will accept the vmxnet adapters ... make sure you have at least 1 E1000 adapter?)

in terminal:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
gunzip <latest LEDE img.gz file>
dd if=<latest LEDE img file> of=/dev/sda
After disk image is written, power off the VM.

Edit the VM and adjust memory to your available settings (even 128MB will work! The image file is without any additional packages!)
Remove the additional E1000 adapter, and or the CD player (and more from VM as desired/required).

Open console and boot the VM ;)

Note:
- That even web GUI is by default disabled! Make sure the VM has internet access to perform 'opkg update' before any other 'opkg install' command.

To activate Luci's Web GUI, from VM console:

Code: Select all

opkg update
opkg install luci
DG.
admin
Site Admin

Re: OpenWrt LEDE with vmxnet3 adapters on x64 VMware instanc

Post by admin »

Made a LEDE v17.01.4 VMware build with vmxnet3, Privoxy, TOR, using a Debian machine.
Working fine but after a restore of an old config the machine crashes, all the time on different 'segment faults' or other strange behaviors, like constant reboots.

It is nowhere near to perfection.

Did not even read my 'own' manual from last year (above), but somewhere i did know i did wrote it.

Searching the web, eventually i came to this:
https://forum.lede-project.org/t/kernel ... mg-gz/3325

But my Disk type was: Parse (d?) ...
Anyway, i tried make it a Thick type now and it works fine, although i want actually a larger disk (and rather SCSI then IDE).
Next goal would be a 'efi' booted with scsi, instead of the old BIOS boot.

First i try my 'workaround' written above with my own build images ... and testing them now :)

DG.